Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Home Again

Whew. That was a long night.

Jake's fever never completely left while we were in the hospital (thought it's normal now), but the cultures didn't show anything and it did go down slightly so they started chemo just after midnight. That meant his last dose of Mesna was given at 6:30 this morning. They let us hang around until it was time to go to Huntsman for radiation. (#27--only one more to go!) Now we're home and Jake is sleeping.

He's still in pain. I'm giving him the painkiller every 4-5 hours. It doesn't take away the pain, but it makes it manageable. Chris is going to bring home a Slurpee for him tonight to see if he can swallow that. Yesterday, he weighed 92 pounds, down from his normal of 100. They're not panicked, but they are concerned. I imagine there's a chance we'll be doing TPN (IV nutrition given through his port) this next week. We'll know after we see Dr. Million tomorrow.

But the good news is that radiation will be finished tomorrow. It will take 1-2 weeks for the pain to fade away, but I'm so grateful we made it so far before this happened. I'd been afraid of weeks of him not eating, so coming at the end like this is bearable.

But my mother heart is anxious to see him be himself again. There was a marked change in his condition during the four days I was in Denver. I won't rest easy until it starts to reverse.

Praying for his pain levels and the ability to swallow would be a good thing right about now. Thanks :)


Katydid said...

I've been watching and keeping track. You are in our thoughts/prayers. Your humor is such a strength.

Laura said...

Hi, Laura. It was such a pleasure to meet you at LCC. When I looked at your other blog, I saw Jacob's Journey on your profile and I've just spent the last hour reading all the posts. (And weeping quite a bit...) You've written so beautifully about Jacob and your family.

I'm sending lots of prayers for healing and strength to you all. Please let me know if I can do anything. Blessings--Laura Benedict