Monday, March 10, 2008

Could You Love Me Less?

So here Jake and I are at Primary Children's for chemo. Earlier we watched the end of EVAN ALMIGHTY, the film with Steve Carrell. As his problems mount up (his beard is growing uncontrollably, animals are arriving in pairs, and God wants him to build an ark in his suburban neighborhood), he looks up into the night sky and says, "I know, I know, everything you do is because you love me."

At that moment, the sprinklers come on and soak him. At which point he looks up again and and says, "Could you maybe love me less?"

Welcome to Jacob's day.

We were admitted to ICS at 2:00 p.m. after his radiation session (#26!). It's nearly 10:00 p.m. and we haven't started chemo. They started fluids, gave Jake a new painkiller to deal with the severe problems he's had swallowing the last few days, and we seemed to be settling in as normal. Then Jake started running a fever. So now they've drawn blood to culture and started an IV antibiotic. Chemo is on hold until they decide if he's got an infection.

Good thing I've got my books, my iPod, and my laptop. God seems to love us an awful lot right now :)

No comments: