Thursday, February 21, 2008

Unusual Skills

Things I can do:

1. Sight read really, really well on the piano

2. Play the organ (but only when absolutely pressed)

3. Recite my favorite films/shows verbatim (Star Wars, Firefly/Serenity, Lord of the Rings, Pride and Prejudice)

4. Read wicked fast (between 100-120 pages an hour)

5. Speak Haitian Creole

6. Write killer English-class essays

7. Spend an entire day in a bookstore (if you don't believe me, you've never been to Powell's in Portland)

8. Talk in public/teach a lesson/entertain middle-schoolers in an assembly without getting the least bit nervous

9. Travel to foreign countries without my husband

10. Throw books at people and still manage to be friends with them after (thanks, April!)


Now, I can add one more thing to my list of not-so-common skills:

11. Give IV fluids through a port-a-cath.

The homecare nurse, Karol, came out this morning to access Jake, draw his blood, and teach me how to use the IV pump. I successfully got him hooked this morning under her watchful eyes--and tonight he's having his second round that I did all on my very own.

I'm feeling very pioneer-woman strong at the moment. Who knew I had it in me? I certainly didn't. My friend, Katie, says the great thing about trials is the things you learn to do that you never thought you'd be able to. If you'd asked me two months ago if I could give shots and hook up IV fluids, I'd have laughed myself sick.

But here we are.

Thanks, Jake, for giving me the chance to grow.

1 comment:

April said...

Laura and Jake,
I think you could add blogging and power to push forward to that. Luckly for Jake it sounds like he got strength from you! Keep puching on, we are all pulling for you.
April